Monday 7 November 2011

Welcome Norman and more...

On Thursday we gave our presentations, mine went down well i think, despite the soggy crisp sandwiches...

So for the next part of this project we have been put into pairs to come up with a 'shrine' for the subjects of both our presentations combined. Welcome Lara and Norman...

Me and Norman
So Lara did her presentation on her lovely pet hedgehog Norman, and I am very excited to be working with them both. I was thinking while on the bus home today, about how a lovely little hedgehog and a drunken ritual could be joined together...
Thoughts I had involved a characterisation of Norman into family guy (part of the drunken ritual), presenting Norman as a drunk (poor thing) and creating a large sculpture of Norman from drink related objects like bottle caps (very stalkery and shrine-ish!)

I'm meeting with my new partners tomorrow to discuss our initial ideas.

Also, despite having the brief for a few weeks, I have started to get to work on the 700 word manifesto to which we are to write. The work has to be revolved around Modernism and Modernity, but apart from that we can take it in any direction. Today I decided that I'm going to concentrate my piece on the bauhaus, specifically typography (although referencing the rest of the Modernist groups and ideas throughout.). I find the Bauhaus really interesting after studying it during foundation and would really like to explore their typography more. A trip to the library is in order.

(From Dave Martin's lectures) Characteristics of Modernism: 

  • Decompartmentalisation
  • Social Morality
  • Truth
  • The total work of art
  • Technology
  • Function
  • Process
  • Anti-historicism
  • Abstraction
  • Internationalism
  • Transformation of consciousness
  • Theology

The manifesto will be displayed on an A2 broadsheet, that will be designed on Indesign. I'm rather excited about this, as I've never used Indesign before and the introduction that we had today was really interesting. With Nigel, we discussed the ways in which things should be laid out in different material and looked at examples of layout, printing, paper, and ink. I found it really helpful as I've never really discussed that area of Graphic design in such detail, and I think it could really be a possible career path for me.

Logos are to be resubmitted on Thursday.

Dingbats have undergone their first coat of white paint and are currently drying. Have been thinking about how I would like to photograph them as I would rather do something less predictable than finding a piece of typography and sticking them next to it. Perhaps the idea of using chalk to create a message or mark on the world that the symbol could interact with?

Photography went really well on Friday. Despite my nakedness... I think the photos came out really well, and I managed to get all the props without spending any money (actually thats a lie, I spend £1 on safety pins...). Unfortunately the photos are to remain top secret for a few weeks so that we can have a grand unveiling at the end of term, so sorry you'll have to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment